.

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Bonus Top Ten - Pete Holidai



Bonus Top Ten - Pete Holidai

"I'm going to smash my Telecaster through the Television Screen."

Todays Bonus Top Ten is a bit special, coming as it does from the legendary Pete Holidai, guitarist with perhaps Dublin's greatest contribution to rock 'n' roll, The Radiators from Space. His trebly Telecaster adorned their fabulous Television Screen and he made sure that the Ghostown rocked. Ghostown, you may have noticed, is at No 2 in my favourite albums list. Anyway it is a sign of the class of the man that he took the time to make up and send me his personal Top Ten.

The list includes early punk, some of punks glam precursors, and a taste for exotic sounds from the fifties, especially if space themed.
Here's a taster for Pete's recent solo album The Devil's Guitar, inspired by those exotic sounds. Find out more at his site here.




And here is his Top Ten.


1. T. Rex - Electric Warrior


2. David Bowie - Aladdin Sane


3. Roxy Music - Roxy Music


4. Lou Reed - Transformer


5. New York Dolls - New York Dolls


6. Les Baxter - Space Escapade


7. Martin Denny - Quiet Village


8. The Ramones - The Ramones


9. The Clash - The Clash


10. Jimmy Haskell - Countdown (featuring a very young James Burton)


Regards
Pete



1 comment:

  1. I have to admit having a furious argument with my late sister Kerry about who was the better guitarist; Marc Bolan or... Alan Osmond. I'd just received the toothsome five's concept album 'The Plan' and was convinced that it was a masterwork. I was about 10 so that'll be my defense. I was of course wrong. One of the great pop stars of the 70s. As was Bowie, although I'm a Hunky Dory/Ziggy man myself.
    Roxy with Eno gets my vote every time over the easy listening later stuff.
    Unsure how I left 'Transformer' off my list. 'Satellite of Love' and 'Walk on the Wild Side' were never off my dansette.
    I had a couple of David Johanson solo albums but was non -plussed by the NY Dolls and the Ramones too. Could never understand their appeal other than trash value.
    Les Baxter?
    Martin Denny; sounds like he's got a huge pair of maracas and he's beating that parrot to death with them...
    The Clash. I spat on them with great gusto and affection.
    Jimmy Haskell would have sounded great on the 'Pulp Fiction' soundtrack.
    Sounds like Pete is a jukebox man... great list.

    ReplyDelete