.

Saturday 18 December 2010

Cosmic Captain

When I had just turned eighteen I went to London for the summer. It was and I guess remains a crucial time in my life story with good and bad things happening and my horizons broadening at a terrifying yet exhilarating speed.

One of the most exciting things that I picked up that summer was an L.P. (sure beats STD's) from a library in Morden which (shame on me!) remains in my possession. It was Safe as Milk, the first Captain Beefheart album and it remains just as exciting today.

The sound (that Ry Cooder slide) the lyrics, the VOICE, the seriously playful wordplay and intonation.

This was Gram Parson's cosmic american music and now the Captain has set sail for the outer limits of that cosmos.

Well I was born in the desert came on up from New Orleans
Came up on a tornado sunlight in the sky
I went around all day with the moon sticking in my eye


No comments:

Post a Comment