.

Friday 3 June 2016

Another mix of my Favourite Songs

Another Mix of my Favourite Songs

The last time I tried to put together a list of Favourite Songs it got out of control - One; Two; Three; Four. This time I was trying to put together a Top Five but that proved impossible so I expanded the parameters. Here are five songs from: Before 1950; the 1950's; 1960's; 1970's; 1980's; 1990's and the 21st Century.

The list is totally subjective and would be different if I did it again. For a couple of the decades I had alternate lists and simply 'pinned the tail on the donkey'. But I like it and hope that you do too.




And here is the list.

1. St James Infirmary - Louis Armstrong
2. John the Revelator - Son House
3. Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday
4. Over the Rainbow - Judy Garland
5. Die Moritat von Macke Messer - Lotte Lenya
6. The Natchez Burnin' - Howlin' Wolf
7. Got You Under my Skin - Frank Sinatra
8. House Rent Boogie - John Lee Hooker
9. Rambling' Man - Hank Williams
10. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
11. Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell
12. Breakfast in Bed - Dusty Springfield
13. King Harvest (Has Surely Come) - The Band
14. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
15. T.V. Eye - Iggy and The Stooges
16. Katie Cruel - Karen Dalton
17. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)byMarvin Gaye
18. Ambition - Subway Sect
19. Poptones - P.I.L.
20. Uptown Top Ranking - Althia and Donna
21. Sacred Heart Hotel - Stars of Heaven
22. Ghost of a Chance - The Blades
23. I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man - Prince
24. Geno - Dexy's Midnight Runners
25. Mutiny in Heaven - The Birthday Party
26. Sheila Na Gig - P.J.Harvey
27. Show Me Around - Luggage
28. Which Kind - Jubilee Allstars
29. Step On - Happy Mondays
30. Brimful of Asha - Cornershop
31. How To Be Invisible - Kate Bush
32. I'm Not Your Typical Boy - Television Personalities
33. Rock Bottom Riser - Smog
34. Hurt - Johnny Cash
35. Playground of the Rich - The Drays
36. Half Orphan - The Knocking Shop

5 comments:

  1. Some great choices here, Seamus. Hurt by Johnny Cash would be in with a shout of making my all-time list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few Cash songs that I could have picked but Hurt seems to encapsulate his whole life. He is the singer I first remember being fascinated with, singing Billy Don't Bring Your Guns to Town as an infant. I also recorded The Green Green Grass of Home with my band as a sort of 'tribute' to Cash, having always associated the song with him rather than Tom Jones.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They sure were! Just a shame we don't have a couple of albums to remember them by...

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm actually lucky enough to have a few live gigs on tape/mp3. Currently listening to Luggage live in the Baggot 1992. Great memories.

      Delete